We proclaim by our lives even more than by our words that God is good.
- We value life as an on-going spiritual journey of deepening relationships with self, others and God.
I am not a religious person, but the way I felt spiritual and connected to the higher being is by appreciating the beauty of the things around me; the act of kindness a person does and the beauty of my surroundings whenever I go hiking.
We honor the dignity and sacredness of each person.
- We develop and appreciate relationships that respect individual differences.
I enjoy being around people of different cultural and religious background. It helps me to see others’ worldview.
- We create environments that encourage the development of the whole person.
I like empowering individuals by believing in their ideas and ability. I also promote a positive mind and body image.
We educate for and act on behalf of justice and peace in the world.
- We ground our action on behalf of justice in the spiritual practice of reflection-action-reflection.
In the evening before going to bed, I tried to reflect on the work I did for the day and plan to improve myself the next day in words and actions.
- We live and act with reverence for the earth and the environment.
My simple way of practicing reverence for the planet and the environment is through conservation of natural resources such as minimizing water consumption and turning off electricity when not in use.
We commit ourselves to community service.
- We integrate service-learning (community-based learning) into the academic curriculum and co-curricular activities.
I volunteered to cook and serve at Home First Shelter in San Jose for the homeless community. I also volunteered at Second Harvest Food Bank around Thanksgiving holiday sorting out donated foods.
We embrace the gift of diversity.
- We welcome to our community people of diverse cultures, ethnicity, race, socio-economic circumstances, gender, age, sexual orientation and faith traditions.
I do not limit myself on who I befriend with. Reflecting on my circle of friends it encompasses all the elements of this hallmark.
- We initiate strategies and support services which respect individual learning styles and which build the self-esteem of each student.
We create community among those with whom we work and with those we serve.
- We value and implement community-building activities, both social and spiritual, between and among all members of our learning community.
- We design and foster collaborative processes wherever possible; we ground decision-making in active participation and the principle of subsidiarity.
- We create interactive and collaborative educationa experiences.
- We create an atmosphere of open and direct communication.
We develop holistic learning communities which educate for life.
- We design and implement academically excellent educational experiences.
- We create curricular/co-curricular interactions that facilitate student-centred learning/teaching environments.
- We actively support the intellectual, emotional, spiritual, psychological and social growth of the members of our learning community.
- We provide an environment and appropriate training for leadership development.